YHBHS interview with Vincent Dubourg

...


"The creations of Western Societies are more and more threatened, deconstructed. Whereas the action of men tend to go against Nature, I want to build a link with it, open a dialogue."




















Vincent Dubourg, "Console Rupture"






Vincent Dubourg recently showed new works at London's Carpenters Workshop Gallery in London. Art and design are constantly being blurred in the works of Vincent Dubourg. "Inside" is on installation at the CWG gallery until May 28th, and is not to be missed for all those in London, or passing through. Thank you Vincent for taking the time for this interview.... (all images courtesy of Carpenters Workshop Gallery.)















Here is a desire to know the origin of shape in order to remove
it from its context and deconstruct its form. the destruction is necessary for
the CONSTRUCTION of a NEW ORDER.
- Vincent Dubourg





What is this new order being constructed, & what does it feel like? What motivates you to create these works?


My approach is instinctive, just as Nature itself. I am not willing to deconstruct; the action of Nature on our everyday life inspires me in my work. It is Nature who "deconstructs" with force what we build. I am very interested in this force and especially in its consequences ; what happens when Nature steps in. The beauty of Nature always fascinated me.



What sort of furniture do you have in your home, and why?

My studio is my home. It is like a tree house constantly rebuilt, I always recreate a new architecture.


Are the works personal, or about nature?

I consider myself as a mediator between the natural elements that have inspired me for a while now and the Individual or the Society, in its western model. Nature constantly changes and renews itself, and the results of this change are our heritage and we must preserve it and live with it. The creations of Western Societies are more and more threatened, deconstructed. Whereas the action of men tend to go against Nature, I want to build a link with it, open a dialogue.



If you did not design sculpture for a living, what else might you do?

I don’t know…I already feel like I am always changing ! Barman maybe ! (Laughs)



When I approach your current work currently on view at the CWG in London, there is a movement, almost a battle of forms & lines. With the devastation in Japan these work seem especially relevant. Are you works being pulled apart by nature, or being supported by natural systems?

Natural elements blow us with their strength. Nature has its own language, it creates its own selection. I observe this language and Nature’s way of constantly reshaping the world. The violence of the natural elements’ impact inspires me, new doors are opened. While creating a rupture, it leads the path to the new and it is an opportunity to discover another dimension, a brand new universe of creation. (Doors I Doors II) Violence is constantly around us, in the medias, and my work is an answer, with the same force but with poesy.

There is in the evolution of my work throughout the years, a growing force, a tension and movements which accelerate. My inspiration used to be very down to earth, whereas today it is much more lunar. The new series of works currently exhibited at the CWG in London witness this change.

My future creations will go even further, with more movement and closer links with architecture.



You studied applied arts at Corvisart, Paris, Industrial design at Pivaut de Nante and furniture design at the School of Decorative Arts, Paris. Any particular designer that influenced how you perceived furniture could be?

I am not a designer, I have no interest in design. I consider myself as a sculptor and the works of Giacometti et Chillida have always fascinated me.
























THE ACTUAL PRIVATE COMMISSIONED STAIRCASE in KNIGHTSBRIDGE / London





The staircase. How long did this process take from beginning to end? What was the initial idea? When I look at the staircase, I'm fixated on the structure under the steps, it reminds me of "The City of Lost Children." I'm not sure whether I am looking into the future, or a broken‐down past.

In total, one year and a half. The initial idea was to build a house around the staircase. You are just right. It is both a projection into the future and a look at a broken and tortured past. There are therefore two readings, and the second one is allowed by the structure under the initial staircase. It creates a second staircase, which gives the impression that one could climb underneath, live the other way round, an alternative path.




What materials are you currently interested in working with, and why?

I don’t create in relation to the materials. It is not the material which brings me to the idea. Therefore the materials I work with are very diversified.



















details of Console Rupture and Staircase







"The Carpenters Workshop Gallery extends the boundaries of design by uniting and transcending the contested categories of conceptual/functional and design/art in thought-provoking exhibitions. Its focus is to promote and foster the careers of contemporary designers through exhibiting unique and limited-edition works in solo and group exhibitions and at international art and design fairs. These shows introduce the public to the latest design aesthetics, enriching and enlightening the contemporary design landscape and discourse. "

Mayfair: 3 Albemarle Street
London W1S 4HE






thank you Vincent Du Bourg, and Stephanie Gabriele, and CĂ©lia Levavasseur.....
all images courtesy of Carpenters Workshop Gallery.













-------------------------