Y H B H S (card catalog) selection 15

Don Freeman, photographer, New York
"I can open any page at random at any time and learn something new about interiors, and how we live in them-the focus of my work: to capture the spaces we live in that define and reveal our soul. "










Don Freeman writes:

"I have my favorite book-The Poetics of Space, by Gaston Bachelard that I've carried around with me for years! It has inspired my interior photography and my fine art work. I can open any page at random at any time and learn something new about interiors, and how we live in them-the focus of my work: to capture the spaces we live in that define and reveal our soul.

My favorite quote from the book, which is also in my film: "living art" in production now- (www.donfreemanfilm.com) is by Paul Eluard:


"When the peaks of our sky come together my house will have a roof"





















But Artist's Handmade Houses, my first book for Abrams- (look for it this Spring!) has in it my greatest inspiration of all-the houses built and designed by artists like Wharton Esherick, Russell Wright, Henry Varnum Poor, Frederick Church, Paolo Solari, and others, and ultimately inspired me to make my first full length documentary film.

In these houses and interiors we not only learn more about their life and work, we discover that by creating a personal yet functional environment for ourselves, our own genius becomes whole. To me, that is what Interior design is all about.

Thank you for your time. good luck and can't wait to see the results. best, Don"




(thank you Don...)








---------------------





Don Freeman is an American photographer, best known for his large, monochrome prints that depict subject matter, be it landscape, human forms or architectural fragments, in states of transmogrification. He lives in New York where he divides his time between fine art photography, commercial photography and filmmaking. His assignments for The World of Interiors, documenting the homes of American artists like Eva Zeisel, Wharton Esherick, Russel Wright, James Rose and Henry Varnum Poor, reflects his deep interest in art and its place in living environments.

His current projects, a book for Abrams titled Artists' Handmade Houses and a film called Living Art will document his love for the Artists' home and show off his talent for capturing interiors, objects and his favorite subject of all: light.


"I like the mood of Interiors. I feel I can represent the spirit of a place by observing how the daylight reveals its secrets... why we find perfection and beauty in it."



- Don Freeman









-----------------------------