YHBHS Interview

Joshua Abelow, pt 2
YHBHS Interview










The best time to paint in the day is?
I almost never get out of bed before noon (unemployment does that to you...). I like painting in the late afternoon or evening after a good cup of coffee. Sometimes I work very late at night.
















"The Genius," 2010,
pencil on paper, 30 x 22 inches




----------


"From your description, and from what I know of your previous work and you [sic] ability; the work you are doing sounds very good “Drawing-clean-clear but crazy like machines, larger and bolder… real nonsense.” That sounds fine, wonderful – real nonsense. Do more. More nonsensical, more crazy, more machines, more breasts, penises, cunts, whatever – make them abound with nonsense.

Try and tickle something inside you, your “weird humor.” You belong in the most secret part of you. Don’t worry about cool, make your own uncool. Make your own, your own world. If you fear, make it work for you – draw & paint your fear and anxiety. And stop worrying about big, deep things such as “to decide on a purpose and way of life, a consistant [sic] approach to even some impossible end or even an imagined end”


You must practice being stupid, dumb, unthinking, empty. Then you will be able to DO!"



A letter to Eva Hesse from Sol Lewitt..





-----------











Inspired by?

First and foremost, my friends and family. My mother is an amazing woman. I'm not sure I could have even attempted to be an artist without her support. As far as artistic influences are concerned there are so, so many.

But a few that come to mind off the top of my head are:
Paul Feeley. Peter Saul. R Crumb. Otto Muehl. I love the Beat poets, writers, and artists. Charles Bukoswki's novels and poems.














Charles Bukowski, collection of poems








I especially like You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense. Richard Brautigan. One of my favorite books Pan by Knut Hamsun. I like anybody who isn't afraid to laugh. Sol LeWitt's letter (from 1965) to Eva Hesse is a great read... Richard Bosman's fucked up paintings and prints from the 80's inspire me. The Ken Price/Josef Albers show at Brooke Alexander on Wooster St. is really good. Paul McCarthy's "PAINTER."



Nite or morning person?
I require an abnormal amount of sleep. If I can, I like to sleep as much as 12 hours a night, which basically means I sleep through a lot of days. Sometimes I start my day at 3 in the afternoon and end up working very late at night. I make my best work when I'm well fed and well rested.







-----------------

Joshua Abelow,
pt 2
YHBHS Interview



-----------------------