Leopold van de Ven wrote to me one late afternoon:
"I make architectural wall sculptures in response to the white cube space."


Later that evening, I began to write to Leopold a letter, and simply stated "Perfect, I'd like to move in some(time)."






"Leopold looks for forms that brace themselves and as such constitute the visibility of space. In his work he intends to make a stand against space."


"In my drawings, objects and collages I constantly search for a sensory confrontation, I look for forms that brace themselves and as such constitute the visibility of space. In my work I intend to make a stand against space. My work is based on the concept of space; to show space and rediscover it, sometimes even in two dimensional form, but always with the same idea in mind.

This is how I see it: two qualities of a drawing are representation and the imagination of depth. An object has a three-dimensional, physical presence and can therefore be an inconvenience. It is tangible, has substance and can hence constitute a drama/tell a story. My wall sculptures I describe as 'two-dimensional sculptures': a combination of the qualities of a drawing and those of a three-dimensional object. In this way I try to give the two-dimensional sculptures imaginary depth, without it becoming an image-like drawing. I call it 'abstract surrealism'. The actual presence as a tangible object forms the three-dimensional element which enhances expression in the piece of art."






thank you Leopold.....

Leopold van de Ven portfolio here..










-----------------