the sea pt 3.

"I feel enlarged and encouraged. "
- Frank Llyod Wright

"I wanted to get in touch with something more primitive
than my wandering and skipping brain.
"
- Vija Clemins






the sea pt 1.
"the sea is a long, long way from me
I'd go there if I had the time
but lying here will do just fine" - low


VIJA CELMINS: "Well, I found the work of the photorealists a bit dead, but I got interested in the photograph. I used the photograph as a guide, so I would not have to worry about the image. They are images within an image within an image -drawings of two-dimensional images. I was trying to bring the images back to life by putting them in a real space that you confront. I don't think anyone else was making work like this at the time, not clippings of disastrous events. Now they look a bit ridiculous to me.

They look almost too contrived. Of course, I didn't really think like that at the time. I remember thinking that the making of the image was reason enough to do it. It was about finding a touch; a way that the image could sit on the surface. The whole point for me was that even though art has been through a million things, I wanted to get in touch with something more primitive than my wandering and skipping brain." (here)


Mike Wallace: When you go out into a big forest with towering pines and [experience] almost a feeling of awe that frequently you do get in the presence of nature...do you not feel insignificant? Do you not feel small?

Frank Llyod Wright: On the contrary, I feel large. I feel enlarged and encouraged. Intensified. More powerful.




two into one: background art by vija clemins, chairs by frank llyod wright.
-----------------------------------