"you know the old story"
Summer officially begins June 21st. There is simply too much happening in Los Angeles in the upcoming weeks. As the sun begins to feel the power that June gloom took from her, the city becomes alive with the buzz and the beat of summer. This first glorious week of summer you will find YHBHS here:
DESIGN + ART + FURNITURE
1. LAMA AUCTION, preview begins today. Auction this Sunday, June 26th. The above image is Lot 51: Edward Ruscha "You Know the Old Story." Bid online for this work here... See you there! But still craving more Ruscha? Then get on the road to Hammer Museum's On The Road...
2. DWELL ON DESIGN. June 24th-June 26th, Los Angeles Convention Center. Plus the hundreds on events that are happening surrounding this event. Remodelista will be there with Atelier's goods, Scout Regalia! plus hundreds of other vendors. go here...
3. MARC FOXX GROUP SHOW, 6150 Wilshire, has a beautiful group summer show. Ricky Swallow's new works are on view. Trust me, see them. They call to mind red tunnels & buildings that you might secretly dream about. (At least for me!)
4. DAVID KORDANSKY shows new work by Los Angeles painter, Lesley Vance. "In particular, some of the new works conjure the otherworldly light, perforated spaces, and strange familiarity that the surrealists brought to painting during the first half of the twentieth century. " + new watercolor works by Lesley.
5. IKO IKO and HEATH both have new shows, which is always a reason to celebrate in my book. Kristin from IKO IKO presents MerkelWare. Don't ask, just go. (Or just peak here.) Adam Silverman shows new works at HEATH this week with two openings, one co-hosted by REMODELISTA. The series is called COLORBLIND, June 23 5:30-8pm. (New York's SIGHT UNSEEN just posted a great studio visit with Adam Silverman when they were in town recently on their site...)
6. REFORM GALLERY will be hosting an event the same evening down the street from HEATH. Leslie Williamson's Handcrafted Modern: "This collection of photographs by Williamson focuses on domestic modernism at its warmest and most creative, offering an intimate and detailed glimpse into the strikingly beautiful mid-century home interiors of some of the most iconic designers and craftsmen of our time, including J.B.Blunk, John Kapel and Jerome and Evelyn Ackerman, artists whose work will be on display at Reform." Meet Leslie Williamson, and enjoy some beautiful images of DOMESTIC MODERNISM, at its finest.
7. DESIGN TRUCK: A mobile gallery following some of L.A.'s best food trucks next weekend, June 24th and 25th, to mark the end of the first-ever L.A. Design Festival.
Design Truck will feature the work of 12 Los Angeles-based designers, bringing comfortable chairs, beautiful tables and designed lighting to the hungry masses. Featuring Brendan Ravenhill, Chris Adamick, Bend Seating, Kelly Lamb, Sam Moyer, Scout Regalia, Brooke Woosley, Machine Histories, whyrHymer, Woodsmithe Aprro, Clancy Pearson
8. PAINTERS BEYOND PAINTING, Sunday, June 26 · 7:00pm - 10:00pm Location @ the Mandrake 2692 South La Cienega Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90034
Tom Lawson, Steve Roden, Brett Cody Rogers, and Amanda Ross-Ho join moderator Jill Newman in a conversation about artists’ relationships to painting when it is one aspect of a multi-faceted practice. In some cases these artists apply the language of painting to various mediums, in others they create paintings through the mechanics of differing disciplines, or arrive at content through subjects outside of painting.