a conversation with Flynn Talbot

.....
Unfortunately the simple ideas always seem
to be the most complicated to resolve....

Lets just say it's a little bit of magic.

- Flynn Talbot





"X&Y just sits there unless you touch it so you have to get involved.The emotions of shock, surprise, amazement and pure infatuation are all possible."




What emotions are lights capable of producing?

Emotion and the sensory experience is by far the most important aspect of my work. When we setup the show at Helmrinderknecht people were scared to touch it. It's not normal to go to a gallery and be able to touch all the work. I kept saying to people "go and play with it", "try it". When they did you can see the exact moment when they realize the power of it, and when they are totally absorbed in it. This is the whole reason why I do what I do, and that is what X&Y is all about. I want to create something unique and special. Something you cannot achieve with other products. X&Y just sits there unless you touch it so you have to get involved. The emotions of shock, surprise, amazement and pure infatuation are all possible.


Why do you choose to work in light?


I used to think I wanted to be a furniture designer and I was doing quite well at that in the short time I was doing it. I choose now, to work only work in light because I don't believe these same emotional connections can be achieved in furniture. Light has much more power then furniture ever will. If you can hold a sphere of light in your hands and manipulate it to instantly change the feeling in a space, that's much more powerful than a piece of furniture can achieve. Also I believe technical advancements in lighting are faster moving then in furniture so for me it offers more exciting opportunities for a designer.



I initially think of the moon, as well as the ZODIAC light, what was your inspiration for starting this project?

The form was actually nothing to do with moons initially. I wanted the most simple and intuitive user control for the light. That's what the sphere is. Of course it's also the light diffuser but mainly it's the point of contact for the user. Everyone can roll a ball, and everyone can use this product. So the decision to only light half of it was made. This has 2 benefits, aesthetic and functional. The lovely moon shapes are created and the option of aiming the light better. This allows you to aim the light against a wall for example to have a softer indirect light in a space.



Can you explain technically how you accomplished this project?


Unfortunately the simple ideas always seem to be the most complicated to resolve. With this project we went through 4 complete re-designs of the technology and after spending so much time on it I cannot divulge exactly how it's done. Lets just say it's a little bit of "magic".


What's the design scene in Australia vs Berlin and London?


Australia vs Berlin vs London. All very different places with very different atmospheres. I love my home country. It's amazing, so open and relaxed but I want to be immersed in the design world and I want to move things faster so it's not the place for me right now. In the future yes maybe. In terms of exposure, London would be at the top, but it's too fast, stressed and saturated for me. So right now Berlin is the best mix. A bit relaxed and slower pace like Australia but still with a very strong creative scene.


X&Y the White / Gold edition, is entirely handmade and produced in a strictly limited edition of 8+2AP, each individually signed and numbered.

For sales enquiries please contact the gallery. www.helmrinderknecht.com
go to Flynn Talbot's site here...


"Flynn Talbot grew up in Perth, Western Australia. Initially focused on furniture and product design, at the age of 23, Talbot began to exhibit his work in Europe. First in London and then Milan at the Salone Satellite. In 2005 he was selected as 1 of 30 winners of the inspired by Cologne competition and exhibited in Germany. He then moved to live in London. Not satisfied with the sensory experience of furniture projects on his audience, Talbot began to search for ways to create more emotive work. He changed direction, to the world of lighting design. And hasn’t looked back. "







--------------------------