Y H B H S (card catalog) selection 39

David Grey, educator and designer, high desert, new mexico

"For anyone who embraces our desire for storytelling and the act of learning how to see, I could not recommend a more lovely book."









Maps of the Imagination
by Peter Turchi
(Trinity University Press, 2004)


David Grey
writes, "As a graphic designer and educator, I am forever intrigued by the artist’s ability to make creative connections. We are incessantly putting together a puzzle in which the pieces continually evolve. We create and curate simultaneously, or, as Peter Turchi writes, we take on both the role of Explorer and Guide.

The first time I read this book, I was living and teaching in upstate NY. It was a Saturday, midwinter, 9am. I began reading and before I knew it, the sun had set. By noon the next day, I had ordered 4 copies to share with friends. I was in awe. I was giddy. And most of all, I felt as if someone had expressed my curiosities in the most elegant of manners and presented it as an exquisite object (the book is beautifully designed by DJ Stout of Pentagram).

My love of wandering, and my deeply rooted need to dissolve the barriers between physical and creative exploration were not only justified, but expounded in the most poetic of ways. For anyone who embraces our desire for storytelling and the act of learning how to see, I could not recommend a more lovely book."





------




“While our perspective and understanding are undeniably limited, in some sense we each have the world — or we each have a world, one that includes not only our hometown and our favorite vacation spot but Victorian England, volcanoes we have only read about, and Vietnam, which has a place in our mind even if we can’t find it on a globe. We compile mental maps that are wildly skewed, a mental atlas so large and complex that we can never fully convey it to anyone else. Then we live in the world those maps create.” - Peter Turchi



Surprise jolts us into a state of heightened perception, and so opens us to the possibility of new understanding.” - Peter Turchi





--------------




David Grey
is an educator, graphic designer, and occasional photographer. Chair, Graphic Design Dept., Santa Fe University of Art and Design; and Founder, Sun Mountain School of Contemplative Art. He is also the publisher of Cottage Scholar.





------------------------