Y H B H S (card catalog) selection 2


Fergus Feehily, artist
"Sometimes it might not be opened for months, or even a year or two, but then it gets pulled out of a stack of other books, fresh and with new meaning to be taken from it each time... "










All Of Us: The Collected Poems
, Raymond Carver.



One of the books that means the most to me, often beside my bed or in the studio. Always full of insight, pared back beauty and consolation. Sometimes it might not be opened for months or even a year or two but then it gets pulled out of a stack of other books, fresh and with new meaning to be taken from it each time.

This copy has been all over with me, in Tokyo, Berlin and Dublin. Carver’s work was first put my way by my friend Alan Sherry I think, in the form of the better know short stories and it has meant a great deal to me ever since. The passing of time and getting older reveals more to me each time I reread these poems, it’s hard to believe that I didn’t quite see this or that in them just a few years ago.

Salman Rushdie once said ‘Read everything Raymond Carver wrote. ‘ When you have spent some time with these poems you realize why. Alan went on to run a small record label called Siwa, not perhaps unlike the small publishers mentioned in Carver’s great Some Prose On Poetry.




--------




Fergus Feehily

"Fergus Feehily’s painting explores a long-term preoccupation with blurring boundaries, often between non-representation and image, text and drawing. There is an undertow of anxiety and ambiguity in his work, an unsettled searching in its making. This constant exploration leads to odd twists and turns- just when you think you are sure what you are getting, the work shifts again and takes another avenue."

(please spend some time with his work here....)
and watch a video here....








---------------------