Y H B H S (card catalog) selection 28

Genevieve Dellinger,
designer, Portland
"Pure weird castoffs get the same respect as iconic objects, and everything works together in a totally individual way, and has helped me to see beauty in the weirdest stuff. "












Wary Meyers Tossed and Found
by Linda & John Meyers





Genevieve Dellinger
writes: I'll admit it, I am a total geek for these guys and their vision. As a longtime picker and resaler, retail and interiors junkie, and craftsperson I have looked to this book with so much admiration. The projects range from crazy simple to extra involved, but the main message is that there are no rules and that life is a total playground.

Pure weird castoffs get the same respect as iconic objects, and everything works together in a totally individual way, and has helped me to see beauty in the weirdest stuff. My husband is a fan too, but I'm not sure that he is a fan of the fact that I now bring home more random junk than ever and our basement is getting a little scary.

If ever I am just lounging around with nothing to do, I often grab this book just to page through and get excited about future projects and come up with fresh ideas. Their blog is also an almost daily stop, if only just to see the jealousy invoking stuff they score through their hunting, and to give me fresh motivation on my hunts."
















Shell Magazine Issue 2/3, 1977.


"My other book, Shell Magazine Issue 2/3, is something I recently dug out of my boxes (while finally building myself some new bookshelves 2 years after moving into my house). This was a really good find from when I lived in Upstate New York and combed through stacks of garbage and free piles and people's weird homes and yard sales and anything else to find the gems that all the intellectual New York City fallout that has trickled up into that area has had stashed away for 35 years, to resell at our storefront on Warren St in Hudson.

I saw a lot of amazing stuff during that time, most of which made it's way onto pastures greener than my own, but this one I couldn't let go...it's just too cool. I've never really been able to dig up any information on the publication (maybe because googling "Shell Magazine" tends to bring up an avalanche of gun sites?) so I just kind of let it maintain it's mysterious aura. I like to leaf through it when I need to feel really cool for a minute and fantasize about the New York City literary scene at the end of the 70's. (Additionally if anyone knows anything about this publication, I really would love to know more!)

Includes, among others, poems by Charles Plymell, Andrei Codrescu and Ira Cohen.
Short story and poems by William S. Burroughs!

Cover photo by Lucas Samaras.









--------------------






Genevieve Dellinger, in her own words! "I’m Genevieve, a DJ and designer working in Portland Oregon with my husband and one dear dog. In the day I work as a creative administrator at Wieden + Kennedy. Me and Matt (hub) and Ola (pooch) live in a tiny bungalow which we like to fill with music and friends, as well as a pile of nice stuff."

In YHBHS words: "To say that I am amazed by Genevieve Dellinger's precise talents & overall explorations is a huge understatement. Her blog Tell You Today is a daily read, her musical project LINGER & QUIET is on constant rotation at the office and home. We've built a friendship based on art, music, and email correspondence:) (truly a 21st century pen pal, I'd say!) I'm psyched and truly honored our paths crossed!"







--------------