Pacific Standard Time!
(Hollywood is a Verb, man)





For the next few months here in Southern California, Pacific Standard Time will be hitting full force! More art + design than one can possible take in, but hey, it's worth a try, right? The events are beginning to unfold, for a full listing, go here.... For those of us that treasure the history of Southern CA and understand the significance and importance of this work, this is an exciting time to be living in Los Angeles.... palm trees, endless boulevards, forgotten light, fallen stars, and shattered dreams...

I'm particularly excited to be taking the press tour of the Getty's exhibitions: Crosscurrents in LA Painting and Sculpture 1950-1970, Greetings from LA: Artists and Publics 1950-1980, and From Start to Finish: De Wain Valentine's Gray Column. And speaking of De Wain Valentine, LAMA's upcoming auction will feature two works by De Wain Valentine, that were part of Richard Dorso's California collection.




"I look at the unfortunate things: misfortunes, underbellies, sadness
. The things that go on not just in a city, but everywhere. The weight of history and all these things can be looked at negatively, but they also can be looked at positively. I see a lot when I drive here. Sometimes I’ll just be driving along and I’ll see a building that just assaults me and insults my intelligence. And the entire thing is so nasty its like having someone spit lemon juice in your face, but there is some effect there that makes me roll on and continue and make something of it. These negative things do work in my favor. They influence me to take motion on things. And that’s where I think my art comes from."

- Ed Ruscha, from an interview in FABRIK magazine, here..



Pacific Standard Time is a collaboration of more than 60 cultural institutions across Southern California coming together for the first time to celebrate the birth of the L.A. art scene. The celebration begins October 2011 and runs to April 2012. The image above on the left is the cover of the exhibition catalog: Pacific Standard Time Los Angeles Art, 1945–1980 Author: Edited by Rebecca Peabody, Andrew Perchuk, Glenn Phillips, and Rani Singh, with Lucy Bradnock.. purchase here..








------------------------