Vienna Workshop: Wiener Werkstätte......
Our strength must lie in good proportions
and materials well handled.
Very rare and early mirrored sconce, ca. 1904
Silver-plated alpaca, mirrored glass.
The Wiener Werkstätte Vienna Workshop, among the great design collectives of the 20th Century, was founded by architect Josef Hoffmann and painter Koloman Moser and operated from 1903-1932. At the Wiener Werkstätte, artists and craftsmen worked side-by-side on a wide range of handcrafted works characterized by meticulous attention to form and detail. In a 1905 manifesto, Josef Hoffmann declared: “Our strength must lie in good proportions and materials well handled.” Exceptional quality and a high level of craftsmanship were hallmarks of the Wiener Werkstätt.
New York –Phillips de Pury & Company is pleased to announce Vienna and the Wiener Werkstätte, an auction of important 20th-century Austrian design to be held March 3rd at the company’s New York flagship, 450 Park Avenue.
all text taken from here...